Gur Mandi of Bahawalpur ~ A Story Inside

 

Mr. Sheikh Muneer Azhar aged 95 years old is the local resident of Bahawalpur. He migrated to Bahawalpur State at the age of 5 from the Alwar, India a Maharaja state. His father started business of spices in local market of Bahawalpur State as spices merchant. Soon he grown up and take over business. Now his grandsons are owing the business near the Gur Mandi and also termed as old gala Mandi (Grain Market) located at the Centre of Bahawalpur walled city . Gur mandi is located exactly under the “Masjid Alsadiq”.

During my visit to Gur Mandi I found this old man. Mr sheikh Munir was the personality of manners. He called me son and allow him to sit with him. He said till then I am the head of union of merchants of this market , but I just make my signature with my thumb.  He start telling that Alwar was his birthplace and was ruled by the Maharaja. Soon he started his memories of childhood and his youth. He took a long breadth and stare into my eyes and stated that “Bahawalpur is the great blessing of Allah and it is dua(Pray) of some saint that I found a peace in my mind soul in Bahawalpur”.  He was drinking cold water and apologize me to drink water in front of me because of ramazan. He stated that he saw Nawab of Bahawalpur two (2) times . he further proceed that he was very angry young man at his early age. In the time of nawab he fight with Hindues who were try to occupy his business. He was sent to nawab’s jail. He also quoted that Nawab was the man of justice and keen to serve the people of Bahawalpur. He was very happy to tell me that he love Nawab of Bahawalpur and Bahawalpur.

Then he quoted me another story about the Gur Mandi , he told me that it was the property of Hindu merchant named Baghu ram, Then after migration he left the property and shifted to India. He told me that before Partition there was only two shops in that place. A man approached to Nawab of Bahawalpur to ask him for the shop in Gur Mandi. Nawab sahib helped this guy. Then after partition Nawab of Bahawalpur transfer the ownership of this place to the local residents of Bahawalpur free of cost .

I was enjoying his conversation, he was totally speaking in the purest form of Urdu dialect. Soon he concluded his conversation because he was unable to speak more because of old age. Then I left with him with the formal conversation and found the old homes of Hindues families all around now turn into the shops of Box makers and air coolers makers.










Comments